Sunday, February 8, 2009

On the Road to Ft. Benning

Well, it is official. We have made it to Fort Benning where we will be for the next 9-12 months. Quite the change for a girl who has lived her whole life in good 'ole Utah. But you can do anything for 9-12 months- right?!? (Well maybe when you know that Hawaii is at the end of those months) Anyway, here are a few pictures from our road trip.
In planning the trip there was really only one thing on Taylor's mind - how can I make it so we pass through Kansas City at dinner or lunch time so I can go to Jack Stacks BBQ restaurant? After staying the first night in Denver we made it through the boring scenery of Kansas and as a reward went to Jack Stacks. I'm not a "foodie" - I really don't appreciate fine food like Taylor does...but...I will admit it was pretty good. I asked the host to take a picture of us outside the restaurant - we looked like total tourists.

On to Nashville. This was our favorite hotel we stayed at - a Hyatt. Best layout, free Internet (you'd be surprised how many make you pay), and free breakfast. Our plans were to explore Nashville the next day then do the short drive to Chattanooga that night. But, instead we were introduced to the world of parenting.



Jeneveve had been the BEST baby during our 3 days of 8-hour drives. She sat in her car seat, slept, talked to herself, played with her toys, or even just looked out the window. She only fussed when it got to be the last 20 minutes of the day. But the morning we woke up in Nashville she had a temperature of 101, raspy cough, runny nose, was lethargic, and couldn't keep anything down. As first time parents we were pretty concerned . So we changed our plans of sightseeing and instead headed toward the nearest hospital. By the time we found the hospital (Google Maps needs to work on their Nashville directions) Jeneveve seemed to be doing A LOT better. (As a side note, she had received a blessing before we left the hotel - coincidence, probably not). We still had the doctor see her. They said there is nothing to be concerned about but to watch to make sure things don't get worse. As of today, 2 days later, she still has a nasty nose and raspy cough but is more playful and the fever is gone. The doctor asked if she had diarrhea - Taylor's response, "isn't it all diarrhea?" We left the hospital with peace of mind but without having seen the things we had hoped to in Nashville. Oh, well. the peace of mind was worth it.


Then next day we stopped at the Chickamauga/Chattagnooga Military Park to see the battlefield. They had a museum and driving tour that we did. It was pretty interesting - especially to imagine how they could have fought in the hilly terrain and dense forests.

NOTE: we stopped at a fast food place called Krystal. Big mistake. They do the mini burger thing. Taylor and I both ordered the number 1 combo - 4 little burgers a piece. We were both grossed out by the second burger so we ended up throwing away 4 mini- burgers. I don't think I've ever had a good mini -burger. I think they make the mini-burger because they know people can't get themselves to eat a full burger but it is easy for people to say, "I know they are gross but I can eat one more."

We passed a funny sign. I doubt you can read it - but if you can zoom in on the red sign it says, "DUI Defensive Driving" We are not quite sure who that school is for.

And now, we are in Fort Benning staying in a hotel until we find a place to live. But how do we know this is for real?

Yep...the haircut, we are in the army.

11 comments:

Shani said...

So sad that Jeneveve got sick! Speaking of sick.....gross aircut Taylor. I am glad you have the internet. Keep us updated as much as possible. GLad you made it there safely!

Nicole Lawrence said...

LOL, Krystals....

Boy, my first and only experience with that fast food chain ended with my husband and I accidentally ordering about 15 of those mini burgers. They should have put "not actual size" by the pictures on the sign...because that is freaking ridiculous that anyone should be able to order 15 burgers in one meal....

Gregory said...

I probably should have sat down with you and discussed a few things about the South and it's food. (I served in Alabama and know a thing or two) Krystal, aka Belly Busters, is not for ANYONE that was not BORN in or lived for at LEAST 2 years in the SOUTH. Your stomach has to be built or climatized to withstand such grease/artifical meat levels.
I am quite jealous of you guys. Not only do you get to live in the south (and have a clear cut LEAVE date), but you get an "out of Utah experience." Not that we are looking to run away, but we would like the experience.
Live up these times, even though they may be filled with anxiety and the occasional "what are we doing/thinking?" moments , and we wish you three the best!

The Bobos said...

Welcome to Fort Benning! I'm glad you guys made it down okay. I hope you are able to find a good house soon. Living in a hotel gets old fast! Also, stay away from Church's Chicken, SO GROSS. The Taco John's on post isn't that great either. But if you like really good BBQ, there is a great joint off of Exit 6 called Country's BBQ. Really good food. Can't wait to see you guys in a when I get back!

Laura said...

Ah we're so glad you got there safe and that everything is ok with JV. Good job taking pictures and documenting :)

Georges...party of 4 said...

love it!! So glad you are updating your blog more.. So, when you get settled in.. you should totally let us know.. we'll come down and visit ya. I'm now working back at delta for a little bit so, of course, the benefits of flying.

Sad to hear your little one is sick.. however she is so dang cute and chubby i love it. Now that jack is crawling and always moving, he seems to be losing his chubby legs and body.. i miss it

Chris and Jenelle Reed said...

Glad to hear you made it safe but so sad you left Provo. Good luck with everything and be sure to let us know if you're ever in Utah visiting.
Sounds like you weren't lucky enough to miss the horrible cold going around provo. Dawson just had that one with the fever and cough. In fact we had to cancel our long weekend vacation to St. George because he was so sick. Everyone I've talked to said their kids have had it and it is going around provo. I'm glad she's feeling better.
Best of luck!

The Littlest Moons said...

What!? You moved and I didn't even know! That is so sad Taylor! You would be in big trouble for not calling me and letting me know, but obviously I haven't called you either! I guess we need to talk and catch up. I might just give up on you and start calling Annie more often--that's a great idea. I am so glad you guys made it safely and Annie I agree that you can do anything with Hawaii at the end!

Bryce and Cecily said...

Welcome to the South :) I'm going to love the next few posts...I can tell already :)

Indiana Downings said...

So glad to hear you arrived safely. Hope your home hunting is complete and you are getting settled in and comfortable. Remember we are only 8-9 hrs away now and if you need a break or vacation, you are always welcome in Indiana with us. We hope you will visit for some holidays and that we will see you more than we did Miles when he only lived a couple of hours away.
Take care and talk to you soon.

Heather said...

Annie, it was so good to talk to you and get the scoop on Benning. I think Colby was planning on driving to Benning as quick as possible, but looking at your pics and hearing your details, maybe Ethan and I will koin him now and make it a nice little tour across the country. Our blog adress is www.colbyparkfamily.blogspot.com